Happy July!! It’s been a bit since I popped in to update, but we’ve been taking photos and I have a lot to share. Currently sitting right at “full term”, meaning baby could safely come at anytime. This pregnancy has seriously flown by … how is this real life?!
- After a particularly hard first 22-ish weeks, I’ve had a really lovely remainder of my pregnancy. I thought about splitting this post though, because there’s definitely a difference that’s shifted right at my 37th week. More on that in a minute!! Up until the last week, I was feeling really, really good.
- Baby is still moving … all. of. the. time. I seriously don’t go more than 2-5 minutes without feeling major movements. And, kicks have been replaced with those crazy alien-like movements. Baby is a bruiser. That said, it’s really reassuring to feel movements all day!!
- Food and eating is weird. Something I didn’t experience with Alba was feeling super full (and miserable) even after a small meal. Digestion is slower during pregnancy anyway, and I’m rocking 1 less organ this time (gallbladder was removed after Al was born). I think this combination just makes for a pretty awful experience with food. I’ll be so happy to have the room to eat again.
- I’m starting to feel super pregnant. I feel mostly great during the day. Maybe a bit tired … then the miserable stomach fullness, but relatively great. At night, it all changes. My hips kill me … I toss and turn all night, and feel like I’m made of stone when I wake up in the morning. Taking cal-mag before bed helps a bit. My heartburn has gotten worse since the last time I updated, but it’s still nowhere near as bad as it was when I was pregnant with Alba. Thank goodness!!
- I’m having real contractions now. It usually happens in the evening, and it’s usually only 1-2, and they are over 10-15 minutes apart. It’s a bit “scary”, as every time I have one, I don’t know if it’ll be the start of the real thing.
- Aside from the physical side of things, week 37 brought major hormonal changes which have manifested as some big emotions. I am suddenly feeling a bit sad and anxious. I think it’s my body’s way of getting me to slow down and not make plans. Also, I have a bit of a to-do list to finish for work (working so hard to get this done), so it’s just a combination of so many things. Really focusing on small, simple moments that bring me joy. Trying to savor these last weeks of my pregnancy. It’s the last time I’ll go through this.
- We are feeling pretty ready to meet this little human. Our home to-do list is pretty much done. Just a few more things to gather for the home birth. There is palpable excitement in our house these days. Lots of laughter about the weird quirks of being a giant pregnant person + all of Alba’s interpretation of this experience. Our home visit went really well (always fun to welcome the midwives into our home before labor starts).
- Alba seems really excited to meet her sibling. We just went through a REALLY rough patch with Al … major sleep disruption and behavioral issues. After about 3 weeks of pure chaos at home, things seem to be leveling back out. I’m not sure what the cause was, but I’m guessing a growth spurt plus some general anxieties about all of the changes around here. It was really stressful, and we were feeling sad that our last weeks before Baby were so disrupted. Thankfully, she’s seeming normal again. She talks about helping with Baby … I cannot wait to see how she bonds with them.
- Things are different the 2nd time around. There’s definitely less fanfare surrounding baby number two. Maybe people just assume we’ve been through it before and we’ll just end up on the other side again? Honestly, not receiving, “Is the baby here yet?” texts is nice – that part was annoying last time. There’s less unsolicited advice, and I think people trust that we have put energy, intention, and lots of thought into our choices. I assume more celebration will come when Baby arrives (versus people really being too interested during my pregnancy), so I’m really excited for the birth … I can’t wait to celebrate this little human!!
- We’ve picked a name! We’re sure of Baby’s first name, and I couldn’t be more excited! The middle name is proving to be a little harder, but I know it’ll come to us when the time is right. Oh yeah, we know the sex of the baby. We are just waiting until “labor day” to announce. It’s been really cool to know this time around (just as it was equally awesome to not know last time).
- Overall, we’re ready, but I’d REALLY like two more weeks of pregnancy to get more work done. I’d love to have a work-free maternity leave!! I predict I’ll go into labor right after the 3rd episode of Game of Thrones (so, two weeks from last night). I’m sure I’ll be WAY off, but it’s fun to play this game.
- At this point, baby is ready to make their appearance!! We have a fully-cooked baby … now, it’s just a matter of baby “fattening” up. The baby sites say baby is about 6.5 lbs right now.
- During our home visit, the midwives confirmed that baby is a little nugget. Likely to be under 7.5 lbs at birth. Alba was 7.7 … my intuition says 8 lb 2 oz, but we shall see. Their guess is about 7 lb 2 oz. if I make it to 39 weeks and some change.
- I think this baby is going to look more like me … Alba totally looks like Jimmy, so it’ll be really, really cool to see how this turns out!
- Baby gets hiccups every day.
- Just like with Alba, Jimmy can put his ear on my stomach and hear the heartbeat. Such a magical little thing he gets to experience.
Okay, now to bombard you with belly photos. I’ve really hit a growth spurt lately!!
Week 32 (from our maternity session with Murray Photography)